Further experimenting with collage, I tried using grease proof paper, package paper, tape and charcoal. I cut out pieces of the photograph, filling the missing parts with charcoal. I also wrote the words 'Male' and 'Female', in addition to some questions and information about androgyny. Some things I had written I erased and wrote over again, to make it unclear to the viewer what is actually written and to emphasize the idea of ambiguity and confusion.
Here are some simpler collages that I'm planning to use as reference to create some watercolour/oil paint studies taking out some parts of the collage, focusing on detail.